Local Yarn Terms and Conditions
The terms and conditions of entry to the NewsLocal – Local Yarn Competition is the place that you really need to start when considering if and how to enter. We strongly recommends participants under 18 years of age review the Terms and Conditions with a parent
Competition Period and Operation
The ‘Local Yarn’ Competition aims to encourage NewsLocal readers to explore, through photography and the written word, what is great about their local area and to encourage people to share in the Australian spirit by connecting with each other through personal perspectives ("Competition").
The Competition is operated by the State of New South Wales, Department of Premier and Cabinet ABN 34 945 244 274, trading as the Australia Day Council of New South Wales ("ADCNSW"), in conjunction with Nationwide News Pty Ltd ABN 98 008 438 828 trading as NewsLocal (“NewsLocal”).
The Competition commences at 9.00am AEST on 31 October 2011 and concludes at 11.59pm AEDST on 8 December 2011 unless terminated earlier or extended, by ADCNSW or NewsLocal in their absolute discretion (The competition has been extended). The ADCNSW and NewsLocal may deal with entries they receive up to the date of termination of the Competition according to the Competition Rules.
By completing an Competition Entry Form ("Entry Form"), and submitting your photographs and opinion pieces, you may participate in the Competition and have the opportunity to have your photographs and opinion pieces publicised and, to win the prize/s. By submitting an Entry Form, you agree that the terms of the Entry Form and these Competition Rules (together "Competition Rules") create a legally binding agreement between you and each of the ADCNSW and NewsLocal.
Eligibility For Participation
The Competition is open to Australian citizens and foreign citizens living in Australia on long-term visas (such as residency, work, student visas) who are NewsLocal readers residing in NewsLocal distribution areas only. Individuals entering this competition are required to showcase the local area they are from relating to that particular NewsLocal publication (participating NewsLocal publications are listed below). People living in Australia on tourist visas are ineligible to enter. You do not need to have any experience in photography or writing to participate in the Competition.
- Blacktown Advocate
- Canterbury-Bankstown Express
- Central Coast Express Advocate
- Fairfield Advance
- Hills Shire Times
- Hornsby Advocate
- Inner West Courier
- Liverpool Leader
- Macarthur Chronicle
- Mt Druitt-St Marys Standard
- North Shore Times
- Northern District Times
- Parramatta Advertiser
- Penrith Press
- Rouse Hill Times
- Southern Courier
- The Manly Daily
- The Mosman Daily
- Wentworth Courier
The following persons and their spouses and immediate families are ineligible for the Competition:
- Members of the NSW Parliament;
- employees of the ADCNSW;
- employees of the sponsors and partners of the ADCNSW;
- employees of NewsLocal;
- employees of the sponsors and partners of NewsLocal.
If you are under 18 years old at the date you intend to submit an Entry Form, you must have consent from your parent or legal guardian to enter, and the parent or legal guardian must agree to ensure that you comply with the Competition Rules. The ADCNSW reserves the right to request a signed consent form from the parent or legal guardian of a participant aged under 18 years at any stage during the Competition. Parents or legal guardians will be required to accept the prize if an entrant under 18 is the winner. Expenses or liabilities incurred by the parent or legal guardian to do this will not be covered by the ADCNSW or NewsLocal.
The ADCNSW and NewsLocal reserve the right to request finalists to provide proof of identity, place of residence, age, citizenship, residency and visa status. Proof considered suitable for verification is at the absolute discretion of the ADCNSW and NewsLocal. If a finalist cannot provide suitable proof, they will not be eligible for the prize. Where the prize has been forfeited, the ADCNSW and NewsLocal, in their absolute discretion, may award the prize to any other finalist they choose.
If the ADCNSW or NewsLocal discover at any point in the competition that an entrant has entered another photography or written word competition with the same image or opinion piece within six months of the commencement of the ‘My Local Yarn’ Competition they will be disqualified.
How to Participate (Entries only)
If you want to participate in this Competition, you must follow all of these steps:
- Access the AUSSIEVAULT® website either directly or via the link on a NewsLocal website;
- Login to the AUSSIEVAULT® website if already a registered user of the website, or register as a user of the website. You can register via the links on www.australiaday.com.au or directly on www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au;
- Select the Local Yarn Competition (www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au homepage banners or Your Say section);
- Accept the Competition Rules by clicking on the "Yes, I agree" button;
- Participants under 18 years need to select "Yes, my parent/guardian consents to my entry";
- Complete an Entry Form by including all mandatory information and follow the directions to upload a photograph and submit an accompanying written opinion piece that comply with the Competition Rules and meet the Competition criteria;
- Participants are required to select the correct NewsLocal Newspaper that relates to their image and written piece. If the correct Newspaper is not selected NewsLocal and ADCNSW may correct this.
- Submit the completed Entry Form and complying photograph and opinion piece;
- You will be notified by email to your email address specified in your Entry Form that your entry has been received within 48 hours of submission of your entry. However, ADCNSW and NewsLocal reserve the right not to upload an entry to this website, or within this period, for any reason, and to remove an entry at any time for any reason. The entrant may not be notified of this via email.
Competition information and the Entry Form are available via the links on NewsLocal websites or directly on www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au. There is no entry fee.
Submission of Photographs and Written Pieces
You may submit a maximum of two different entries per person. Each entry must include a photograph and a written piece of no more than 300 words and must relate to your local NewsLocal Newspaper area. Entries that only contain a photograph or only contain a written piece will not be accepted. If you do not select the correct NewsLocal Newspaper your entry will not be accepted or may be changed to the correct NewsLocal Newspaper selection by ADCNSW and NewsLocal at their absolute discretion. The same image cannot accompany multiple written pieces, and the same written piece cannot accompany multiple images.
Your entry must contain only original written pieces and images created by the entrant.
You must keep a copy of each written piece and photograph submitted in the highest resolution possible as these may be requested by ADCNSW and NewsLocal.
Image Upload Specifications
Note that the following are not accepted for entry in the Competition:
- hardcopy, printed or scanned photographs
- other non-digital format photographs or images
Uploaded photographs must comply with the Image Upload Specifications, as follows:
- each entry must be submitted separately in accordance with the Competition Rules;
- each photograph must be accompanied by a written opinion piece of 300 words or less which responds to the proposition on the Entry Form "How has your local area made a mark on and contributed to your life?";
- the same photograph and/or written piece cannot be submitted more than once or in relation to multiple NewsLocal newspaper distribution areas;
- each photograph must be a high quality JPEG file measuring at least 3000 pixels on the longest side or a minimum size of A4 at 300dpi. We recommend using a camera with a minimum of 6 Megapixels. Files should range from minimum file size 500Kb to a maximum 8MB to facilitate easy uploading;
‘Tips for Uploading’ are available in the ‘Entry Form’ section of the AUSSIEVAULT® website.
It is the entrant's responsibility to comply with the Image Upload Specifications and, without limitation; the ADCNSW and NewsLocal take no responsibility for any photographs that have been uploaded incorrectly or written pieces that exceed the word limit.
It is prohibited to upload, communicate or publish on this site entries, including photographs, or comments or any other materials which:
- are discriminatory, racist, hateful, violent, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, feature nudity or are pornographic, profane or indecent or are otherwise unlawful;
- infringe any other person's copyright or moral rights or other intellectual property rights; or
- advertise or are otherwise designed to sell a product or service or increase traffic to any other website.
The ADCNSW and NewsLocal reserve the right to remove any entries, photographs, written pieces, descriptions, website links or other materials uploaded, communicated or published on this site which they consider (in their absolute discretion) objectionable or in breach of the Competition Rules or other terms of this site. This decision is in the ADCNSW and NewsLocal’s absolute discretion and discussions will not be entered into.
Acceptance of Entry
You will be notified by email to your email address specified in your Entry Form that your entry has been received within 48 hours of submission of your entry. If your email changes in the course of the competition, you will need to change this yourself online at www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au
ADCNSW and NewsLocal intend that entries meeting the Competition Rules will be uploaded to the Competition section of the AUSSIEVAULT® website within 48 hours of their successful submission by an entrant. However, ADCNSW and NewsLocal reserve the right not to upload an entry to this website, or within this period, for any reason, and to remove an entry at any time for any reason without notice or email notification to the entrant.
In order to be considered for the winner/s prizes you must submit your entry by 11.59pm AEDST on 8 December 2011 (unless the Competition is terminated earlier or extended by ADCNSW and NewsLocal). Please note the competition date has been extended.
Amendment of entry and registration information
All entrant material must be uploaded with a completed Entry Form. Once the Entry Form and the accompanying entrant material are submitted, no subsequent access will be provided to entrants to add to or edit registration information or entry. Entrants should direct any request to correct or update any incorrect information to the Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requests to delete one or more photographs from a submitted entry or to delete an entry in its entirety may be made by contacting the Webmaster at email@example.com. Note that where an entire entry is deleted further entries from that entrant may be prohibited at the absolute discretion of the ADCNSW and NewsLocal.
A judging panel formed at each NewsLocal newspaper’s discretion will judge the entries and select up to 5 Competition finalists from each newspaper (up to 100 in total across the 20 NewsLocal papers) between 12 December for one week (a smaller number of finalists may be selected) ("Finalists"). Entries will be individually judged based on each photograph and written piece’s ability to reflect the question ‘How has your local area made a mark or contributed to your life?’ and showcasing your individual local area in ways which:
- are creative
- are innovative
- the photograph and written piece need to compliment each other and truly reflect the identity of your local area and answers the theme question
- demonstrate artistic merit (including image composition, treatment of light and shade, subject treatment for photographs, and style, flow and linguistic quality for written pieces)
- Review [link to Tips for Uploading] for additional information
The 5 Finalists from each NewsLocal newspaper (up to 100 in total across 20 papers) will be highlighted on www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au in the Finalist section of this competition and the general public will be given the opportunity to make comments and link back to the relevant NewsLocal Newspaper website to vote for their favourite.
NewsLocal readers and the general public will be invited to vote on their favourite image from each NewsLocal newspaper by Accessing your local NewsLocal newspaper website directly or via a link on the AUSSIEVAULT® website linking you to your NewsLocal Newspaper.
All NewsLocal Finalists will be showcased on AUSSIEVAULT® displaying links to NewsLocal websites for people to vote for their favourites. Voting will not take place on www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au
Voting for your favourite image is subject to the terms and conditions for such voting published in your local NewsLocal newspaper. The ADCNSW does not accept responsibility for the voting process or a selection of a winner resulting from that process.
The winner/s will be selected by the tally of votes from NewsLocal readers. There will be one winner selected from each NewsLocal newspaper.
ADCNSW and NewsLocal will treat the person whose name appears on the Entry Form as the photographer of the photograph submitted and the author of the written piece submitted with the Entry Form. Only this person will be named as a Finalist or a winner in the Competition.
ADCNSW and NewsLocal’s decision is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
The Finalists' entries, including their display name as shown in their entry, image location, date and image description and NewsLocal Newspaper name will be featured at www.aussievault.com.au (which will also be accessible by hyperlink from www.australiaday.com.au), in NewsLocal newspapers and on NewsLocal newspapers websites.
Prize winners and Finalists agree to participate in any promotional activity promoting the ADCNSW or NewsLocal, prize sponsors and/or the Competition, as may be reasonably requested by the ACDNSW and NewsLocal.
The winner/s from each NewsLocal newspaper will receive the same prize:
- 4 x tickets offered to the winner to attend an exclusive Australia Day BBQ held at Taronga Zoo in Sydney and free entry for the winner and 3 guests a 4 people to enjoy Taronga Zoo on Australia Day (For further details refer to the Prize section)
- The winning entry will be publicised and featured in your local NewsLocal Newspaper
Finalists and winners may also receive exposure through media opportunities in NewsLocal, and newsletters to promote Australia Day and on www.aussievault.com.au
(All travel, accommodation and any other arrangements of any kind required for the winner/s to attend engagements in connection with the award will need to be covered by the winners and their guests. For the avoidance of doubt, no cash substitute will be provided).
If any prize (or part of any prize) is unavailable, the ADCNSW and NewsLocal, at their discretion, reserve the right to substitute the prize (or that part of the prize) with a prize to the equal value and/or specification.
Non-cash prizes, or any unused portion of a prize, are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash.
Entrant's Representations and Warranties
You represent, warrant and agree that:
- you are eligible to enter the Competition;
- all the details in the Entry Form were true and correct at the date you submitted the Entry Form;
- If you are under 18 years you have obtained permission from a parent/guardian to enter;
- you are the photographer of the photograph(s) you submitted to the Competition;
- you are the author of the written opinion piece(s) you submitted to the Competition;
- you are the sole owner of the copyright in the photographs and the written pieces and in all descriptions of the photographs that you upload to the AUSSIEVAULT® website ("Your Material"), and that Your Material is original to you and does not otherwise infringe any intellectual property or other rights of anyone, including but not limited to, copyright, trademarks, trade secrets, privacy, publicity, personal or proprietary rights. Without limiting this, you have obtained all necessary permissions from each person whose intellectual property is reproduced in the photograph and/or opinion piece to enable you to comply with the Competition Rules, including, but not limited to, granting the licences required by the Competition Rules;
- Your Material does not defame, misrepresent, contain disparaging remarks or other content that could adversely affect the name, reputation or goodwill of anyone or contain pornographic or hateful content that promotes violence or harm or other offensive, obscene or inappropriate content or contravene any other law;
- Your Material complies with all other Competition Rules;
- you have obtained permission from each person recognisable in Your Material to submit Your Material and for it to be used according to the Competition Rules, and for the ADCNSW and NewsLocal to use their name and likeness to promote and advertise the Competition, the ADCNSW and NewsLocal;
- Subject to the ADCNSW and NewsLocal’s rights pursuant to these Competition Rules, Your Material has not been, and will not be, entered into any other photographic, written or other competitions or published in any magazine, newspaper, journal, website or other publication from 10 April 2011 until expiry or termination of this Competition;
- Your Material has not been entered into any other competitions six months prior to the Local Yarn competition start date
- Your image supporting your written piece for the Local Yarn Competition may also be entered into the Living Australian Online Photography Competition on www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au
- Your Material is not the subject of any other third party agreements that would prevent its use according to the Competition Rules or require ADCNSW, NewsLocal or anyone else to pay any third party for this use.
You unconditionally indemnify ADCNSW (which term includes the State of New South Wales and the ADCNSW's officers, employees, contractors and agents), and NewsLocal (including NewLocal's officers, employees, contractors and agents), and must pay ADCNSW and NewsLocal on demand the amount of, all losses, liabilities, expenses and taxes that ADCNSW and NewsLocal may suffer (including the cost of settlement and any legal expenses on a full indemnity basis) because any of your representations or warranties are incorrect, you breach the Competition Rules, or because of a claim or proceeding by another person against ADCNSW or NewsLocal that you have caused or contributed to.
Copyright ownership and consents
As between you, the ADCNSW and NewsLocal, you (and any others who contributed to the entry such as by supplying any copyright material that you photograph) retain ownership of any copyright in Your Material. You place material on this site at your own risk. The ADCNSW and NewsLocal do not take responsibility for any unlawful or other use of entries or comments by any other person.
You must not post an image which features any other person, or to which others contributed such as by supplying any copyright material that you photograph, without their permission and unless they too have read and agree to these Competition Rules. You may not include the written words of any other person, or to which others have contributed, without their permission and unless they too have read and agree to these Competition Rules
ADCNSW and NewsLocal will, wherever reasonably possible, attribute an entry using the display name(s) supplied with the entry. However, to the extent permitted by applicable law, you (and any others who are featured in or contributed to the entry) agree that the ADCNSW and NewsLocal may reproduce, publish, and communicate to the public Your Material with or without attribution of authorship. To the extent permitted by applicable law, you unconditionally and irrevocably consent, and will obtain all other necessary unconditional and irrevocable written consents, to additions to, deletions from and other alterations or modifications of, Your Material that would otherwise infringe moral rights established by the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) for the benefit of the ADCNSW and NewsLocal, and any person claiming an interest in Your Materials through the ADCNSW and NewsLocal.
You acknowledge and agree that the ADCNSW and NewsLocal may require you to provide, or may themselves seek, further consents from persons whose name or likeness is featured in any image or who may have supplied copyright material included in your entry. The ADCNSW and NewsLocal reserve the right to seek such consents at any time during the Competition including prior to and as a condition of the award of any prize.
Licence to use submitted photographs
You grant to the ADCNSW and NewsLocal an irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, transferable and worldwide non-exclusive licence (with the right to sub-licence) to reproduce, publish, communicate to the public, adapt, and otherwise exploit Your Material in all media whether known now or developed in the future (for example by displaying the entry on the ADCNSW website, the AUSSIEVAULT® website, NewsLocal websites, on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Flickr or on any other website, publicly displaying your entry on a large format outdoor screens, or by communicating your entry to others by email, by mobile phone, by radio, television or print/online).
You grant to the ADCNSW and NewsLocal an irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, transferable and worldwide non-exclusive licence (which includes the right to sub-license) to authorise others to view and reproduce Your Material for government, personal, commercial or in-house use to promote Australia Day. Current and future sponsors of ADCNSW and NewsLocal may use entrant material in any way they choose to promote Australia Day events and programs.
You must obtain all necessary irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, transferable, worldwide, non-exclusive licences (which include the right to sub-license) in all material reproduced in the photographs you submit to the Competition, to enable the ADCNSW and NewsLocal to exercise the rights granted to them by these Competition Rules.
Right to use names and likenesses
If you submit an entry, you grant the ADCNSW and NewsLocal the right to use (and to allow others to use) your name and likeness to promote and advertise the Competition, Australia Day nationally, the ADCNSW or NewsLocal. However, the ADCNSW and NewsLocal agree not to use your name or likeness in connection with any commercial tie-ups, merchandising or for the direct or indirect endorsement of any product or service.
Exclusions and limitations of liability
Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, the State of New South Wales (including, but not limited to, the ADCNSW's officers, employees, contractors and agents) and NewsLocal (including, but not limited to, employees, contractors and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence, and whether advised or aware of the possibility of that liability), for any personal injury, or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity), whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the Competition, including, but not limited to, where arising out of the following:
- any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under ADCNSW or NewsLocal’s control);
- any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference;
- any unauthorised use of submitted images;
- any entry, photograph, opinion piece or prize claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by the ADCNSW and NewsLocal) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the ADCNSW and NewsLocal;
- any variation in prize value to that stated in these Competition Rules;
- any tax liability incurred by a winner or entrant; or
- use of a prize.
Privacy and your Personal Information
You are required to provide certain personal information to complete an Entry Form. Without your personal information, the ADCNSW and NewsLocal cannot accept your Entry Form. You must give only accurate, complete and up-to-date information, and are solely responsible for ensuring that it complies with all applicable data protection and privacy laws.
This personal information will be collected and used according to the www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au Privacy Statement so that you may participate in, and the ADCNSW and NewsLocal may administer, the Competition.
A copy of this Privacy Statement may be accessed at: www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au
Without limiting the www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au Privacy Statement, by completing an Entry Form you expressly consent to the ADCNSW and NewsLocal providing your personal information to the prize partner and agree that the prize partner may use such information in order to contact you for the purposes of administering the Competition, the award of prizes or the use of your entry on any marketing collateral. ADCNSW and NewsLocal will contact you directly should other external agencies or organisations request this information.
If you have any questions about the application of the Privacy Statement or a request to access, or for the correction of, information held (for example because it is inaccurate, incomplete, out of date or misleading) please contact:
Australia Day Council of NSW
GPO Box 5341
Sydney NSW 2001
Email enquiries can be directed to the ADCNSW Webmaster at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Disqualification and cancellation
If you exceed the maximum number of submissions or you submit duplicate entries, you may be disqualified, your images and opinion pieces deleted without notification and advised to resubmit according to the Competition Rules.
Your entry may not be accepted or may be disqualified at any time, if you do not complete all mandatory details in the Entry Form, you do not agree to the Competition Rules, or your entry does not comply with the Competition Rules.
If this Competition is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as anticipated for any reason beyond the reasonable control of the ADCNSW and NewsLocal, the ADCNSW and NewsLocal reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law to:
- disqualify any entrant; or
- modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the Competition or any part of the Competition as appropriate.
Any cost associated with accessing the Competition website is your responsibility and is dependent on the internet service provider used.
You must not use any automated entry software or any other mechanical or electronic means that allows you or any other people to automatically enter repeatedly, and all entries submitted by this method are disqualified.
Giving effect to the Competition Rules
You must do anything (including sign any document) to give full effect to the Competition Rules.
The laws in force in New South Wales, Australia, govern the Competition and the Competition Rules. You submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts exercising jurisdiction in this State, and any courts that may hear appeals from those courts.