Local Yarn Tips for Uploading
The tips outline the criteria and requirements for the compeition
Local Yarn Competition Rules
The terms and conditions of entry to the NewsLocal – Local Yarn Competition is the place that you really need to start when considering if and how to enter.
There are three main reasons for this:
- How will the images and written pieces be used?
- Copyright and license information
- Submitting entries correctly, the format and description
The Australia Day Council of New South Wales (ADCNSW) strongly recommends participants under 18 years of age review the Terms and Conditions with a parent or guardian before agreeing. Parental/guardian consent is necessary to participate.
Finalists will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Stick to the theme of the Competition - an obvious but important one. You will be judged on how well your image and description relates to the theme “Make Your Mark Australia” and responds to the proposition ‘How has your local area made a mark or contributed to your life?’
- Creative interpretation – above all, the judges are looking for quality, creative photographs and meaningful written pieces that best reflect your local area and demonstrate how it has made a mark on you or contributed to you and your family and friends’ life. Check out the celebrity opinion pieces in the ‘Your Say’ section for some inspiring ideas.The key is to submit written pieces and photographs that are a passionate and inspirational reflection of being Australian.
- Your written piece does not have to be in a certain format; it could be a rhyming poem, a short opinion piece or a creative writing piece. As long as it reflects the theme and responds to the proposition ‘How has your local area made a mark or contributed to your life’. The same applies to the photograph – it should illustrate the written piece and could be of anything or anyone in your local area that fits with the theme.
- Correct word count – all written pieces must be 300 words or less in order to be considered for the competition
- Correct image size and resolution – In order to be in the running to win the competition component, each photograph must be a high quality JPEG file measuring at least 3000 pixels on the longest side or a minimum size of A4 at 300dpi. We recommend using a camera with a minimum of 6 Megapixels. Files should range from minimum file size 500Kb to a maximum 10MB to facilitate easy uploading.
- Good quality – i.e. an image must be clear, not blurry, no graphics or text on the photograph.
- Please note that the photograph and written pieces need to be suitable to be reproduced in print and online.
Please note that the following will not be accepted for entry in the Competition:
- hardcopy, printed or scanned photographs
- photographs with text or graphics
- phrases or written pieces taken from someone else’s work.
Select the correct NewsLocal Newspaper
Please make sure you select the correct NewsLocal newspaper for which you wish to submit your entry. This is the local area that your photograph and written piece should be about. You must live in the distribution area for the newspaper for which you are submitting. The 20 participating newspapers are:
- Blacktown Advocate
- Canterbury-Bankstown Express
- Central Coast Express Advocate
- Fairfield Advance
- Hills Shire Times
- Hornsby Advocate
- Inner West Courier
- Liverpool Leader
- Macarthur Chronicle
- Mt Druitt-St Marys Standard
- North Shore Times
- Northern District Times
- Parramatta Advertiser
- Penrith Press
- Rouse Hill Times
- Southern Courier
- The Manly Daily
- The Mosman Daily
- Wentworth Courier
Steps for Uploading
Some simple steps to follow if you are planning to enter:
- Access the AUSSIEVAULT® website either directly or via the link on a NewsLocal Newspaper website;
- Login to the AUSSIEVAULT® website if already a registered user of the website, or register as a user of the website. You can register directly on www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au or via the links on www.australiaday.com.au;
- Select the Local Yarn Competition (www.AUSSIEVAULT.com.au homepage banners or Your Say section);
- Accept the Competition Rules by clicking on the "Yes, I agree" button;
- Participants under 18 years need to select “Yes, my parent/guardian consent to my entry”
- Complete an Entry Form by including all mandatory information and follow the directions to upload a photograph and submit an accompanying written piece that comply with the Competition Rules and meet the Competition criteria;
- Participants are required to select the correct NewsLocal Newspaper that relates to their image and written piece. If the correct Newspaper is not selected NewsLocal and ADCNSW may correct this or not accept your entry.
- Submit the completed Entry Form and complying photograph and written piece;
- You will be notified by email to your email address specified in your Entry Form that your entry has been received within 48 hours of submission of your entry. However, ADCNSW and NewsLocal reserve the right not to upload an entry to this website, or within this period, for any reason, and to remove an entry at any time for any reason. The entrant may not be notified of this via email.
We look forward to receiving some inspiring images and written pieces. Good luck!